Wednesday 15 March 2017

- 16 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine


Actors you might know:
*same struggle as with ‘Stranger Things’ here: I don’t know any of the actors…*
*Maybe I should just leave this category out for the next reviews because I honestly don’t know any actors at all. xDD*

Published: First season: 2013-2014

Genre:  Comedy, Police

Episodes:  22 [first season]

Episode duration:  about 22 min



I am totally obsessed with this series!
I have watched it 24/7 during the last couple of weeks.

Honestly, this is so good!

It is a funny, comedian series but it is so very good though!
[What means though -> I don’t think that comedy series are bad, in contrary!
But normally comedy series *at least for me* aren’t series you watch 24/7 until you finish the season, but series to watch one episode a day or a week for relaxing. xD]

I watched the first season in German because I was afraid that I wouldn’t understand all the jokes, but the second one I am watching in English now. :D

Content

Well, the content of this series can be summed up briefly…

It takes place at the NYPD department in Brooklyn’s 99th Precinct.
It is all about conflicts, misunderstandings, funny things and the everyday-live of the different detectives who work with this department.

In the first episode the department gets a new captain who is very strict and stern.
This immediately leads to many conflicts between him and Jake Peralta one of the series’ main-characters because he is very cool and immature and that’s why the opposite of the his new boss.

Review

I want to start this review with the thing that is the most important about this series: its humour

Every person has his own sense of humour, so I can’t generally advise everyone to watch it, just because I found it great…

I am going to try to describe the humour a little bit in the following, so that you can form your own opinion. :D

Ironic, stupid, sarcastic, also a bit mean-spirited from time to time...
… these are the first things that occur to me when I think of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. :3

The Gifs and quotes I added to this post also illustrate the series’ humour very well, so they also might help you to decide whether you like it or not. :D

A thing I really like about this series except for its humour is the amount of main characters.
There are about 10 [9] of them which is perfect for me.

I have serious problems when it comes to remembering names of characters in series and films. Honestly, I can be lucky if I am able to remember a characters exterior, but his name?! Never ever!!!!
With books, I don’t really have this issue… dunno why. xDD

Besides, I think that this amount of characters is perfect because you get to know [and love] them better without being bored because only seeing the same two or three people over and over again. ^^


Rosa: 'And when this is over, I'm going to find you, and I'm going to break those little fingers.'
Judge: 'Ms. Diaz, please stop threatening the stenographer!'


I now want to introduce some of my favourite characters to you:

Rosa Diaz:
She is a very violent, impatient, aggressive and direct person who gets angry fast.
I know that these characteristics all are negative, but she is so lovely in her own way though!!!
I really love the way she develops during the first season, because she is even cooler and more adorable at the end than she already has been at the beginning.

Jake Peralta:
He doesn’t really is my favourite, favourite character, but I have to mention him though because he is the main-main character of this series.
*sorry for that sentence; it sounds so awful but I don’t know how to put it right now! xDD*

He is very cool, carefree, funny and childish; for my liking he is a bit ‘too’ funny from time to time and that’s why a little bit annoying. This bothers me about some other comedy series' characters too, so you might not have a problem with it. ^^

He also develops during the first season and at the end he falls in love with a person *not going to spoil who xD* which I find very cute.

I had to cogitate very long about which third person to talk about here, because I love all of them so very much! I finally picked…

Gina:
Gina ‘only’ is the captain’s assistant and not a detective. She is very lazy, a bit stupid, crazy and pretty egoistic. The only reason why I picked her is because I really hated her at the beginning, but now I really like her. If you maybe are about to start or already have started watching ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ and you don’t like her; trust me, it is going to be better. xD

I also really like:
Terry: a big man with two little daughters, who is very funny because of the contrast between him being a very massive man and meanwhile a softie and a lovely daddy.

Amy: always has to stick to the rules and she wants to appeal to the captain

Captain Hold: also a big man, not funny, contrary to Jake, gay

Charles: feminine, idolizes Jake, loves cooking


I didn’t just want to name positive aspects about this show because I think that reading negative opinions about a book or a series is very important, so that you can decide by yourself if the things other people criticize bother you or not…
For being able to do so I read other persons opinions on the internet…

Nearly everyone seems to love ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’! *I am a bit unburdened after hearing this, because my opinion isn’t against the opinion of the rest of the world again, like with Sherlock Season 4… xD*

A negative aspect I read about this series is, that ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ is unrealistic…
Well yes it is, but I didn’t really watch this series with the intention of watching a realistic series…
But, nah it is a critic point too, so if you think about watching it, please be aware of the fact that it isn’t a documentary about a detectives ‘real’ job, but a comedy. xDD


Rosa: Come on, Peralta! Holt said to use the whole team. We all want this solved.
Jake: I appreciate the offer, but I work best alone. Except when it comes to sex. Actually, sometimes including sex.


A thing I never ever really pay attention to while watching films and series is the camera work, but here it caught my attention because it is very interesting and well matching with the funny content.
The camera always is zooming in and out when there are jokes which I find very cool.

My Recommendation

I highly would recommend to EVERYONE of you at least to watch the first episode.
After that you will know if you like the shows sense of humour or not.

I would really not recommend you to continue with the series if you don’t like the first episode because it won’t change that much. You probably would just be bored and annoyed by the other episodes.

There currently are four seasons and the fifth already is confirmed.
I researched a bit and I found out that the third and fourth season got pretty bad reviews. I am very curious whether I will agree with that opinion or not. xD

Hugs,
Ⓛⓔⓞⓝⓘⓔ

No comments: