Wednesday 28 December 2016

- 7 - Mortal Instruments


–City of Bones –City of Ashes
[first two books]

Author:
Cassandra Clare
Published:
2007 and 2008
Genre:
Fantasy
________________________________________
I have read the first book some time ago but I put its review off the whole time…
so now I will review the first two books together. :D
The complete series consists of six books.

Content

The Mortal Instruments series tells the story of Clary Frey, a normal girl who lives in New York.

One day she takes notice of the murder of a boy in a club but as she calls the police she has to conclude that she has been the only one who was able to see the tattooed murderers.

One of the murderers Jace Wayland reveals to her that he is a demon-hunter, a so-called Shadowhunter. In addition to that, he tells her that vampires, werewolves and wizards exist for real.

When Clary returns home she finds everything destroyed and her mother gone. She moves to the ‘institute’, a place where many Shadowhunters live.

She, Jace and the other Shadowhunters desperately search for her mother.
They suspect that the evil Shadowhunter Valentin has kidnapped her because she has once been his wife.

Furthermore, they need to avert a war between the different creatures of the night which Valentin is trying to incite.

My Review

This is really hard because I know that these books are hyped and well-liked by everyone, BUT I don’t really like them. So please, if you like the books, don’t hate me because I write something bad about them… :O

They are Fantasy books, but for my liking they aren’t ‘fantasy’ enough. I don’t like the blending of a world as the one we live in together with fantasy elements.

Generally speaking, I don’t have any problem with that but it is bothering me that in these books it feels too ordinary, the mixture just doesn’t appeal to me.

Another important point is that the main character Clary is getting on my nerves. This girl is really annoying and I just don’t get along with her. Understanding how and why the characters act the way they do is really important to me and this isn’t possible with Clary.

Additionally things happen too quickly in these books.
There is no time to breathe between the different actions. I think that books which are written this way seem more unrealistic and a bit rushed.

But this is only my opinion, so it could be that you don’t mind this point at all.

A thing I really liked about these books is the way Cassandra Clare portrays the fairies, the werewolves and the vampires. These creatures differ in each book, but I really enjoyed them here.

The relations in between each species and between the several creatures of the night seem ‘realistic’ to me.

It especially appeals to me that the fairies aren’t characterised as nice and friendly like in many myths and stories, but beautiful, dangerous, calculating and cold. :D

[I don’t really know to whom I should recommend these books and to whom I shouldn’t, so I will leave the ‘recommendation part’ out this time.]

Love,
Ⓛⓔⓞⓝⓘⓔ

No comments: