Monday 22 May 2017

- 22 - Riverdale


Actors you might know:
Cole Sprouse *Cody, ‘The Suite Life of Zack & Cody’*

Published:
2017

Genre:
Series, Teen Drama, Crime

Episodes:
13

Episode duration:
~ 40 min

I started watching ‘Riverdale’ because it was super hyped and I felt like literally the entire internet was watching it. xD

This series is a modern interpretation of the ‘Archie’ comics from 1939.
I haven’t read the comics so I can’t rate this series based on its template.

Content

Riverdale is a small town that seems to be perfect and peaceful at first sight.

But one day one of the rich and popular Blossom twins, Jason, is murdered.
'a r c h i e'    c o m i c
While trying to solve the murder, many other dark secrets which reach up to the very top of the Riverdale society are revealed.

The plot mainly revolves around the friends Betty, Archie, Veronica, Jughead and Kevin who go to the Riverdale High school and try to solve the mysterious death of their former classmate Jason.

On top of that crime the friends have to deal with angry football players, angry parents and a very, very angry Cheryl Blossom who is in deep grief about her beloved twin brother’s death.

Review

The first thing I want to say about this series is that you shouldn’t be expecting a “real” detective story. The development of the relations between the different characters partly [most of the time xD] is more important than solving the actual murder. xDD

v e r o n i c a
I would rather call this series a very entertaining mystery-highschool-drama with a bit murder and a bit tragedy, from calling it a crime series. xD

While watching the first couple of episodes I didn’t really understand why this series is this famous because it just looked “normal” to me; just not really special or outstanding…
Every character in this series is pretty and sexy and has ‘normal’ relationship-school-parents-love-struggles…

…BUT I feel like exactly this ‘normality’ mixed with a bit murder and a bit of dark secrets gives ‘Riverdale’ its charm.

Another thing I really like about this series are its characters.
This may sound a bit dump and random, but I actually think that everybody who watches this series will at least find one character he or she really likes.

I now will introduce my favourite ones to you:

Jughead Jones

Jughead is the coolest. Honestly. I need him in my life! xD
He is the mysterious, lone wolf of Riverdale. He and his family are looked down by all the other inhabitants of this city. He however is used to it and doesn’t really care.
 
He also started writing a book about the murder which happened and all the other negative things this crime causes.
At the beginning and the end of most of the episodes he reads an extract of his book to the audience. I really like this because, in my opinion, this gives the show a mystic touch.

j u g h e a d

...in addition to that, seeing Cole Sprouse on TV again makes me feel a bit nostalgic. xD


Veronica Lodge

Veronica and her mom just moved from New York to Riverdale. She is very nice and cool and strong! Back in New York she was a person she doesn’t want to be anymore and I really like the ‘new’ Veronica.
[You can see a picture of her at the beginning of the 'Review' part :D]

Cheryl Blossom

Cheryl is evil. She is the devil. If you hate her, it is perfectly fine and relatable BUT I really like it.
c h e r y l
At the very beginning I didn’t like her at all but now after knowing her horrible family and her sad story I can’t help but like her. ^^

Another character I really like is Kevin. He is that typical cute, gay best friend every one of us secretly wants to have. xD

Despite all these good things about this series I don’t really am that much in the ‘Riverdale’ Fandom, because I don’t really like Betty and I seem to be the only person on this planet who feels this way about her… xD

I don’t desperately hate her but I am not cool with her being shipped with Veronica and Jughead because the two of them are my baes. xDDD

To sum up:
This series is not very deep, but still very entertaining and lovely. :3

My Recommendation

You don’t have to read the comics to like this series [because I also didn’t].

I researched a bit for being able to tell you something about the series compared to the ‘Archie’ comics:
I found out that it’s not like the comics at all…
I read the reviews of many, many fans of the original comic who were very sad about this film adaption… so if you are a big fan of ‘Archie’ you probably shouldn’t start ‘Riverdale’. :o

BUT, If you search for a light and entertaining series to fangirl over, this probably is the right choice for you.

If you search for a thrilling detective series with challenging riddles and surprising plot twist this isn’t the right choice for you… watch Sherlock instead… I love it... xD

After reading through this review once again I realised that it may sound a bit too negative from time to time… this series doesn’t only consist of gossip and affairs… it also contains a lot if suspension and a good plot. :3

No comments: