Friday 31 March 2017

- 17 - London

Author:
Christoph Marzi

Published:
2016

Genre:
Novel, Fantasy

701 pages [German edition]
________________________________________

I typed this review two weeks ago… yesterday, I wanted to publish it but after reading it once again I realized that it was rubbish; so I decided to write a new one. :o

My old review just was very awful to read because I started writing it while reading the book and at the beginning I absolutely loved it and I was so hyped and I only wrote positive things about it.
 Later, I didn’t really enjoy reading the book anymore, so I would only write bad things about it during that time.
It just was very confusing even for myself who wrote it. xD

Now, I have finished ‘London’ and I hope that this review is going to be better and less confusing than the last one... :D

! Warning: This is a German book and it isn’t translated into any other languages [yet] !
Maybe *hopefully* you are interested in hearing something about it though.

Content

At the beginning of the book the reader gets to know Emily Laing. 

The woman is waiting for her train to London to arrive so that she can return home after work. While standing on the platform, she discovers that London has vanished. No one seems to know this city, no train is going there and it also is nowhere to be found on the internet. She needs to find out what is happening and she needs to bring London back.

Review

I am going to begin with some positive things, I really liked about this book when starting it:

The first thing I want to name is that this book is so different and individual.
It contains so many strange characters, strange plot twists and strange places, which just make this book to one of the weirdest I have ever read in my entire live! xD

It is so refreshing and relaxing to read a book which is so ‘special’ from time to time because you just can lose yourself in it and forget your normal live. 

I personally have to read a more ‘normal’ book after this because I wouldn’t be able to appreciate another book this strange with my current mood.

Another thing I especially enjoyed about this book is that you can and have to think very much on your own. 

Secrets, mysteries and problems are mentioned but only get elucidated a hundred of pages later. During reading those hundred pages you really want to know the truth, so you have to think on your own. :D

For being able to ‘solve’ the problems you must completely dig into that crazy Fantasy-world I described the previous paragraph. So, these two positive aspects go very well with each other. ^^

Now some negative aspects I want to mention:

The book has its longeurs. 

As I already mentioned at the top ‘London’ is very thick; I normally don’t have anything against thick books *in contrary, I prefer reading long books from reading short ones* BUT I just got bored in the middle of this one and I couldn’t get myself to continuing with it for like three weeks…

I always hate it when this happens because you forget things about the plot or about the different characters and it just is so hard for me to find back into a book after pausing it for such a long time. :o

Another thing I don’t really like about this book is its ending!
Throughout the book many, many questions are asked and I feel like this ending only answers half of them. :o

The ending didn’t really make much sense to me but at the same time you could predict it during the last hundred pages. But I think that I will read the ending again, maybe it gets better then. ^^


My Recommendation

Even though I wrote some bad things about this book, I would still recommend you to read it. :D

If you hate reading thick books, you probably shouldn’t start it, but if you are searching for a good book which isn’t normal and similar to the books you have read until now, this probably is a good choice for you. :D

After researching a bit, I found out that this book is the fourth book of a series. …oops…

Apparently it is a trilogy and this is the fourth book, so it probably is a spin-off or something like that.
I didn’t have any problems with understanding the plot, so I think you can read this book without having read the others too. :D

If you have read the other books you probably already know some of the characters and it must be very cool to meet them all again. <3

So that’s my review, I hope you guys like it and it helps you to get to know this book better. ^^


Hugs,
Leonie

2 comments:

Tania said...

I bought it today and want to thank you for your Review! I just realised that it's the forth Book of a series as well so i Looked for someone who could tell me if I can read it without the other books!
Thank you for this interesting Review now I want to read the book Even more 🙈
And sorry for my typing mistakes, my smartphone is autocorrecting me 😂
Best wishes,
Tania

lelo.loves.books said...

I just read your lovely comment.
Thanks a lot, it means a lot to me to hear that you found my comment helpful. :D

By the way, did you like the book? Do you agree with my opinion? ^^

Hugs and thank you a loooooot,
Leonie
=^.^=