Tuesday 25 April 2017

- 20 - The Young Offenders




Actors you might know:
*I didn't know any of the actors*

Published:
2016

Running Time:
86 mins

Genre:
Comedy



I didn’t plan to watch this movie… I actually didn’t have any time at all [school struggles and, and, and].
But then my parents started watching it and I successfully procrastinated all the things I had to do and watched this film instead. 

Content

The main characters of this film are the two teenagers Conor and Jack.
They are best friends and they both are single-parented and cool and they dress and talk the same. 
Conor however is very well-known for stealing bikes and that’s why Jack’s mum doesn’t really like him.
One day a drug-trafficking boat capsizes and loses 61 bales of cocaine each worth 7 million euros.
Once the two friends find out about this they steal two bikes and go on the trip to the coast to steal a bale.

On their journey the two friends are confronted with different problems. Among others they are followed by an angry cop, captured by an old man who first gave them shelter but then didn’t want to let them go anymore and their butts hurting because of the girl’s bikes they drive with. 

The boys aren’t really able to deal with any of these problems properly and that’s why their entire journey is very crazy and a big fail.

Review

The first thing I want to talk about is this film’s humour.
It is very dump, ironic and it doesn’t have a high level at all. I love it! xD

The two main characters are so dump and most of their conversations are so sense and pointless I love listening to them. I could do that for hours.
Meanwhile their friendship is so adorable and cute; I give it solid 10 out of 10 friendship-points, *please don’t ask me what that is supposed to be, I don’t know. xD*
A thing which could be considered to be negative about this film is its stupid, dump and senseless plot. I personally wouldn’t really criticize that because the entire film is a bit dump and that’s why you can kind of can expect the plot to be like that. ^^

Next I want to talk about something which kind of is negative and positive at once:

‘The Young Offenders’ isn’t translated [yet?] so my family and I had to watch it in English. I personally love watching my movies in English anyways and I normally don’t have any problems with that… BUT in this film all the characters have a very strong Irish accent and without the subtitles I would have been lost!

Honestly, I wouldn’t have understood a single word without them. xDD

Reading subtitles might be a bit annoying I admit that, but I think that watching this film in English is better than watching a translated version because the accent and the way the characters talk fits them and the content so well. :D

________________________________________

I like lots of types of food:
'chicken nuggets, chicken balls, chicken burgers, deep fried chicken, chicken kiev, chicken wings, chicken legs, chicken tikka masala, styr fried chicken, chicken soup…’
-Conor Magsweeney

________________________________________

The last positive aspect was already mentioned at the beginning of this post, but nah, I am just going to say it again. 
The dialogues are so great!!!

I love the way Conor and Jack talk to each other, but also the way they talk with their parents and other people. There could be a second part in which they just walk around and talk and I literally would buy the DVD and watch it 24/7. xD

My Recommendation

Again [as with ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’]: to like this film you must like its sense of humour

If you don’t like it you will only be annoyed by it and every single minute you spend watching it is wasted time. 

But IF you like this sense of humour I personally don’t see any reasons for you not to love it!

One last thing: One of the boys [I don’t remember which one of them] looks exactly like a former classmate of mine… my classmates’ personality is like 100% not like the personality of Conor nor Jack which made it even harder for me to take the film serious. xDD

One really last thing: If you are interested in watching the trailer I will put it down here. ↙

Hugs,
Leonie

No comments: