Saturday 3 June 2017

- 23 - PhileassonSaga Himmelsturm


Author:
Bernhard Hennen
&
Robert Corvus

Published:
2016

Genre:
Fantasy

464 pages [German edition]



I was sent this book as a reviewer’s copy some weeks ago, so thanks a lot to the ‘Randomhouse’-team. :D

! Warning: This is a German book and it isn’t translated into any other languages [yet] !
Maybe *hopefully* you are interested in hearing something about it though.

This is the second book of the ‘Phileasson-Saga’.
I already reviewed the first book on my blog… to read its review click HERE.
[You don’t have to read the first review to understand this one tho. xD]


Content:

This is what I wrote about the first book’s content:
This book is about the two captains ‘Asleif Phileasson’ and ‘Beorn der Blender’.
The two of them are rivals and enemies.

One day it is purposed that there should be a competition between them to decide who of them the ‘king of the sea’ is. They accept and soon the race begins.

The two participants have to circle ‘Aventuring’ within 80 weeks and while doing so they also have to pass different tests.

On that dangerous journey Phileasson, Beorn and their crews see themselves confronted with problems no other human being ever had to deal with before:
Dangerous animals, even more dangerous humans and on top of that the everlasting cold of the north.

Content of the second book:
Both of the captains have completed the first task and now are on their way to fulfil the second one:
Disclose the secret of the ‘Himmelsturm’ [=sky tower]

This mysterious tower is said to be built by elves a long time ago in the very north…
Already on their way to this tower Phileasson and Beorn are confronted with the cold of the everlasting ice and the anger of corpses that suddenly come alive.

Once the two captains and their crew arrives at the tower the problems don’t get reduced; in contrary. The deeper the two groups expand into the tower the more dangerous and out-of-control the entire situation gets. 

Review

The first thing I feel the need to say about this book is that its prologue is amazing!

I generally LOVE reading prologues and epilogues…
But the prologue of this book *and come to think of it, the prologue of the first book too* is AMAZING!

Even though it is very long [until page 80] I read it in one sitting and I was dying to find out how its story is linked to the actual plot! I love it when the actual meaning of the prologue only is revealed after a while and you don’t really know what is going on until then. xD

Before I started writing this review I actually read my own review of the first book in order to remember some of my critics…

So, the first thing I talked about was, that the topic was different from what I expected it to be… well, this critic doesn’t really matter with this book anymore because you can predict what this one is going to be like after finishing the first book.

The second thing I talked about are the two captains and their crews.
I said that I wasn’t sure how to feel about them because it seems like Phileasson got all the positive characteristics and Beorn got all the negative ones…

I don’t really want to change anything about this statement because I actually feel the exact same way after reading the second book. The favourite characters I named afterwards in the first review also still are the exact same and nothing changed about this.

The next thing I said was that the brutal language bothered me a bit… lol
I didn’t have this feeling while reading this book at all. I would never dreamed of calling its language brutal! xD

But, I have to admit that I don’t really am a big fan of the language of this book either. I can’t really
put it in words why, but I’ll try anyways.

When there are many actions at once [for example during a fight or an escape] those actions follow on each other very, very fast. You probably think right now: ‘Where is her problem? That’s normal. If there are many actions at once it has to be like that!’

Yeah, you are right I also know that and that normally doesn’t bother me, BUT [and here is the part I can’t put in words:] in this book it did and the language in general also isn’t really my favourite.

In general I can say that I really like the topic / the idea / the storyline / the characters of this book.

Some minor things like its language and that the plot is very long-winded from time to time got on my nerves, which is why this isn't my favourite book ever... BUT it still a very good one and I think that I will buy the third part as well.

My Recommendation

I actually planned on writing here that you have to have read the first book before starting this one… BUT after thinking about this a bit longer I’d rather say that it might be good, but not one 100% necessary.

If you know the general plot [what you already do after reading this review xD] of this series you can read the book without knowing the first part.

It might be a bit confusing at the beginning because you don’t know all the characters, but this definitely is going to be better with every page you read.

I would recommend you to start the Phileasson-Saga if you want to read a good book about seamen, you don’t mind the negative things I mentioned earlier and if are able to speak German *sorry, I know that I already made this joke at the end of the first book’s review and that it wasn’t funny back than and that it also isn’t funny now… I am sorry. My sense of humour is shit. xD*


No comments: