Wednesday 5 July 2017

- 27 - Sweeney Todd



Actors you might know:
Johnny Depp *Jack Sparrow ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’* 
Helena Bonham Carter *Belatrix Lestrange, ‘Harry Potter’*, 
Alan Rickman *Severus Snape, ‘Harry Potter’*

Published:
2007

Genre: 
Musical, Horror



I am not a big fan of Horror movies. Not because of the violence or the blood, but because of the tension and the thrill. I can't stand this and I always have to hide behind my blanket.
This film is very bloody, but not so thrilling so I could watch it without having to hide. xD

I am not a big fan of Musicals either, to be honest, it always gets on my nerves with the People singing all the time. I haven't known it being a musical when starting the movie *luckily, Otherwise I might not have watched it*.

I decided to watch this film, because of the awesome actors! *As you might know* I adore Harry Potter and I am totally in love with Johnny Depp!

Content

The movie deals with the Barber Benjamin Barker who has been imprisoned wrongly. 

After being released from jail after 15 years in 1846 he travels to London under the name ‘Sweeney Todd’ for taking vengeance on the corrupt judge Turpin who has imprisoned him. In addition to that Turpin has chased Sweeney’s wife into suicide and he keeps the Coiffeurs daughter imprisoned.

For being able to kill the jurist, Sweeney 'practises' by killing his costumers. His landlady Mrs. Lovett who runs an unsuccessful pie-bakery processes the corpses into pie. 

Her new pastries are well-liked by everyone, but can the two of them succeed, or will their murderous game be revealed?

“They all deserve to die. 
Even you, Mrs. Lovett.
Even I.”
-Sweeney Todd

Review

Because of the numerous songs the film has its own timing. First it disturbed me but later I got used to it and even enjoyed it.

Johnny Depp fits very well into the role of the creepy barber. These kinds of roles suit him the best, I think.
Helena Bonham Carter plays the role of his lovely landlady. She is in love with Sweeney Todd so she helps him with his horrible plans. The two of them are a very good, and deathly team.

I really liked the films ending; though *or even because* many characters died. It wouldn’t have fit if it had been different and less bloody.

As I already mentioned above, this is a musical.
When the first song was played, I was kind of like: ‘Oh, shiiit why is this a freaking musical! Is there anything else on TV I can watch instead?!’
But, luckily I decided to give it a try and I really liked it. So if you don’t really like musicals too, give it a try though you might also like it. :D

My Recommendation

The film is very macabre and creepy from time to time so if you have got a problem with such things, I wouldn’t recommend you to watch it.

If you don’t have a problem with this and you maybe like the actors as much as I do, you absolutely should watch it! :D

One last thing:

I researched a bit and I found out that ‘Sweeney Todd’ really existed!

He is said to be born on 26th October 1756.
His parents mistreated him and in the age of fourteen Todd is sent to prison for petty theft.

Five years later he returns to London and opens up a barber shop. He was helped by a young woman he never married but he referred to as his wife.

He already seemed to be a bit violent back then but in December 1784 he is said to have murdered a young gentleman. The man came to his shop and while being shaved he told Todd about a ‘fine girl’ living in Hamilton Street from whom he had certain favours the previous night.

Todd assumed that he talked about his ‘wife’ so he seems to have cut his throat open.

It can’t be said for sure that Sweeney is the murderer but after being arrested for many years he said: 
"My first 'un was a young gent at Hyde Park Corner. Slit him from ear to ear, I did."

That’s why it is very likely that really he is the murderer. :D

[I found an article from ‘Dailymail’ treating the REAL Sweeney Todd… most of my information and the quotes I used are taken from it.

If you want to read the whole article I link it HERE. :D

No comments: