Friday 6 October 2017

- 38 - Steven Universe [Season 1]




Published:
2013-2015

Genre:
Animation, Fantasy, Comedy, Drama, Children

Episodes:
52

Episode duration:
11 min



I started watching this series because two of my favourite YouTubers recommended it and because it is very, very famous on Tumblr. :D

I am super hyped about ‘Steven Universe’, so please read my entire review and give this lovely show a chance!

Content

Steven Universe lives together with three magical gem women and his father in a town called Beach City. The three women Pearl, Garnet and Amethyst call themselves ‘Crystal Gems’ and travel all over the world and to space to solve “magical” problems in order to keep the earth save.

Steven is a half-human, half-gem boy. 
His mom also once was a member of the ‘Crystal Gems’. She gave up her physical form as a gem to create Steven. Her son now has to learn how to use his mother’s gem’s powers in order to join and help the crystal gems himself.


This series mainly is about Steven expanding his knowledge of his power with the help of the Crystal Gems, missions the Crystal Gems go on and also some conflicts between the rest of the inhabitants of Beach City.

My Review

Well, where do I even begin with this…
… I feel like, no matter how long I will take for writing this review, it will never be good enough for this awesome show! :o

‘Steven Universe’ officially seems to be a show for children…
… but there is so much more behind it, that it is impossible to label it as something “only” made for children. It is so deep, so many lessons can be learned and the songs... don’t even get me started about the songs!


This might be a bit superficial, but another aspect of this show I really enjoyed is the length of its episodes.

Honestly, one can always spare ten minutes for watching an episode… or two… or ten.

This brevity still doesn’t lead to the episodes being pointless or unsubstantial!
In contrary! The ten-minute episodes made me be more attentive and more hyped about starting a new one. 
[If you compare this to the one-and-a-half-hour ‘Sherlock’ episodes, it is in an entirely different universe –get the reference?! Lol –that one was horrible –kill me plz]. 
For me, it is just was very refreshing to have a completely different and new plot every ten minutes. :D

Another veeery positive aspect about ‘Steven Universe’ is its characters.

G A R N E T
Firstly, there aren’t that many characters and that’s why it is possible for you to keep up and really get to know every single one of them. After some time you know most of Beach City’s lovely inhabitants and you feel like you are living there yourself. xD

Secondly, all the characters are so nice; I can’t put it in words.
I will talk about the Crystal Gems later, but also every single side-character has grown to my heart while watching ‘Steven Universe’. The producers invested a lot of time in really picturing a lot of different characters, with different personal strength and weaknesses. –which definitely was worth it!


The crystal gems and Steven’s father and Steven himself are generally nice people and they are full of love for each other and the rest of the world. They care, respect, protect, understand and LOVE each other from the bottom of their hearts and you, as the spectator, feel loved as well.

S T E V E N' S   D A D


One could think that Steven is annoying because he is that ‘stereotypical’ looser kind of guy.
But this isn’t true at all!
He is a very cute and lovely thing that must be protected at all cost! Honestly!
But also the other ‘Crystal Gems’ and his father are incredibly adorable!




In addition to the fact that all the characters already are amazing at the beginning of ‘Steven Universe’, the development nearly all of them go through with the ongoing of the show makes them being even more amazing!

I am going to stop fangirling over the characters and go on with my review now. xD

A M E T H Y S T

The next aspect is a very positive and important one for me but it probably doesn’t apply to all of you:


I am no Native English speaker, so I mostly have some difficulties whenever I watch a series in English. ‘Steven Universe’ however was very easy for me to understand. Firstly because it also is for children and that’s why there aren’t that many complicated words in it. 



Secondly because it is an animated show and because of that all the audio is recorded separately in a studio. You don’t have any distracting and annoying background noises and the dialogues and songs can all be understood very easily. This helps all the not-native-English-speakers out there to understand what’s going on. xD

For all of these reasons, I would definitely recommend you to watch this show in its original language! [I will recommend some legal streaming websites at the end of the review. :D]

P E A R L

The very last thing I want to say about ‘Steven Universe’ is something very basic...

It is something different!

There are tons and tons of series out there, but this one sticks out.
It is something completely different, it imparts social values, it doesn’t seem to care about norms and *in case of repeating myself* it just generally is a lovely and amazing thing to watch! *____*

I literally can’t think of a single negative thing to say about ‘Steven Universe’ for this review. 
I am sorry. :p

Recommendation and Stuff

Well, I have two words for you: WATCH IT

Please. 

Every episode only takes about ten minutes. Please at least try to watch a single one!
If you like it after watching the first episode, but you aren’t super hyped about it, don’t worry, the more episodes you watch, the better it gets. At the latest after the first season’s finale, you are going to be obsessed with ‘Steven Universe’, believe me.

You can watch all the first season’s episodes for free on ‘Daily Motion’, which is even more of a reason to watch this lovely show! -> click HERE to start with this amazing piece of art

I forbid myself to continue watching ‘Steven Universe’ until the second that its review is uploaded to my blog.

… sooo, I sadly have to say goodbye to you now in order to hide myself away in my bed and binge watch the second season of this [more than adorable] show…
… I am definitely going to review this one on my blog as well, so stay tuned for it to come. :D


If you want to share your opinion on ‘Steven Universe’ as well, feel free to write a comment, or an E-Mail directly to me. :D

Thanks for clicking and
Hugs,
leonie
=^.^=

No comments: