Sunday 26 November 2017

- 42 - Mirror Mirror


Author:
Cara Delevingne

Published:
October 2017

Genre:
Novel, Teen Drama, Crime

368 pages [English Edition]
368 pages [German Edition]




The author of this book is the actress of Laureline in ‘Valerian’. Maybe she already seems familiar to you because I massively fangirled over her at the end of my post about this film… xD

Content

This book is about the four teenagers Red, Leo, Rose and Naomi.

All of them are very different and all have different problems in their lives: One has an alcoholic mother and an absent father, another one a violent and criminal brother and the last one dumps boy after boy in order to numb a supressed pain from the past.

What unites all of them and ties them together is the band they all play in together!


At the beginning of the summer Naomi vanishes. Eight weeks later she is found barely alive in the Thames. While she is fighting for her live in hospital, her friends try to find out what exactly happened to her.


 Could it be that the police are right and Naomi ran away from home herself- and the friends simply didn’t pay enough attention to her and missed some important warning-signs?

Or is something much darker behind it all?!

The only certain thing is that at the end of this journey none of the friends is going to be the same as he was before, because...

"

Once a mirror is broken, it can’t be repaired

"

My Review

Literally the only reason for me to buy this book was the woman that wrote it. xD
Maybe [Hopefully!?] you will have some more rational reasons for and against buying this book after having read this review. xDD

To begin with, I want to talk about this book’s language:
It is a bit vulgar; nothing extremely beautiful or with extraordinarily high literal finesse,
BUT, it suits this book and its narrator so well!

‘Mirror Mirror’ is written out of the perspective of ‘Red’ one of the band’s members. He is telling the reader what happens in all honesty and without minding how he says it; which I hail a lot.

This leads me to the next aspect I want to talk about: ‘Mirror Mirrror’s’ narrator
He is very quit, shy, hard with opening up to others and loyal to the ones he loves. He seemed very likeable and relatable from the very beginning. 

With the ongoing of the book something is revealed about ‘Red’ that I would never have expected. 
I can’t tell you what exactly happens without spoiling you, which I obviously am not going to do… BUT this secret showed me once more, that I still am stuck in the schema based on which society judges people by.

I really do believe that people should be free to wear / do / say / think / ... no matter what gender / religion / sexuality / … they have. Nonetheless, it is very hard not to consider all the stereotypes you grew up with and have been confronted for your entire life at all… I [and maybe you too?! <3] really need to work on that harder in the future!


I have come to realize that half of my reviews is consumed by me ranting about random topics and telling you my opinion without having been asked!

I am going to continue with the review now and I really need to work on that for future reviews: xD




The ending of ‘Mirror Mirror’ was a bit silly and predictable, BUT *as I see it* the strength of this book isn’t its outstanding plot or its amazing language. What makes it special and definitely worth reading is the message it and its characters are sending and showing to the reader.

I see this book as an homage to friendship and love, but also as a reminder to the reader that everyone fights his own fights maybe no one, not ever ones closest friends, know about. Identity Struggles, individuality and the painful truth of growing up also are being discussed.

Recommendation and Stuff

I would recommend you to read this book if you search for a book that is a bit ‘lighter’; maybe something for in between reading two very thick and heavy weighty tomes. :3

Despite the important and serious values it talks about, ‘Mirror Mirror’ is not a depressive, sad book that makes you feel bad and horrible. It probably will make you think and question stuff a bit; but in a good and positive way.

I really enjoyed reading Cara Delevinge’s book and I hope for a second one.
I still think that that actress / model / author is a bomb of a woman and I definitively am going to follow her ‘career’ in the future because I think that we have a lot of awesome stuff to expect from her! :D

Thanks for reading this review,
Hugs,

leonie

G E R M A N   C O V E R
[THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO COVERS; I KNOW xDD]

No comments: