Tuesday 31 October 2017

- 40 - A Herring Without Mustard

Flavia De Luce #3


Author:
Alan Bradley

Published:
2011

Genre:
Detective Story, Mysterie, Children

399 pages [English Edition]
352 pages [German Edition]




HELLO PARTY PEOPLEZ
I have been absent on here for some time. First I was very sick and I couldn't leave my bed for three weeks and then school was killing me. Now I am back and I am currently watching incredibly many good series and reading an awful lot of really, really good books! I am looking so forward to sharing all this with you! :D
So, after this short personal note, back to the actual review! <3

thanksforvisitingmyblogthanksforvisitingmyblog

This is the third book of the ‘Flavia De Luce’ book series.
I already wrote reviews for the FIRST and the SECOND book on my blog. Feel free to read them first, but it also won’t kill anyone if you don’t do so and start with this one. :D

Content

England in the 1950s

11 year-old Flavia de Luce visits her home town’s small annual fair together with her family. Some hours after being told her future by an old mysterious Gypsy woman, the exact same old lady is found severely injured in her small caravan.

Because the police are clueless as always, Flavia feels compelled to solve the case herself.
Her old bicycle Gladys and her love for chemistry are just as essential for doing so as her passion for poisons.

Soon, other corpses are found and the situation seems to be getting more dangerous and shady with every page you turn.

My Review

If you already have read my reviews of the first two ‘Flavia de Luce’ books, this opinion of mine might already seem familiar to you:


The language is amazing and the best and lovely and, and, and
The descriptions of the settings, the involved characters and the ongoing action always are beautiful and with loving attention to detail.


[If you have been following my blog for some time you will already know this:]

I LOVE the English language and everything connected to it; I especially fell in love with Great-Britain. This book-series is very British and that’s why -for me- even more adorable and fascinating.

I read the first two books in German and I am going to read the other ones in German as well because I want to understand every single of the beautiful phrases the author is using. Because of my love for the English-language I swore myself to reread at minimum one of the books in English though! xD

G E R M A N   C O V E R
Now to the actual review of this third book.

The plot is good; Catchy, not boring and different from the ones before.

My reviews of the other two ‘Flavia’-books both contain a very long and detailed talk about the main-character Flavia herself. I didn’t hate her, I just couldn’t really relate to her and she annoyed me a bit. I don’t know why, but in this book she wasn’t annoying at all and I really came to enjoy spending my time with her.


Another thing that annoyed me a lot in the other two books is the horrible relationship of Flavia to her father and her two sisters. This also is on the way of getting better in this book. :D


The very last aspect that I really enjoyed about this book is that the side characters of the other books are mentioned again. If you have read the other books, this will also please you. If you didn’t read the other ones, you still can enjoy 'A Herring Without Mustard'.

The character that I was the happiest about seeing him again was Dogger. He is the 'De Luce's' Butler and the good soul of the house. He is a very wholesome character who silently tiptoes his way into the reader's heart. :D


My father and I both are reading this book-series together.
He prefers this third book from the second one. I actually planned on writing here that I don’t agree with him because both of the books are equally good, but during writing this review I couldn’t help but to agree with him.


ALONE AT LAST!
Whenever I’m with other people, part of me shrinks a little. Only when I am alone can I fully enjoy my own company.-Flavia de Luce

Recommendation and Stuff

If you have read the first two books, you definitely should read this one as well.
If you haven’t read any of the ‘Flavia de Luce’ books until now, you really should do so! xD

Here’s my suggested reading order: Start with the first one, then read the third one and then the second one. As soon as I have read and reviewed the other books, I will of course update this list. xDD

I have already bought the next book of this adorable series. It is called ‘I Am Half-Sick of Shadows’ and as soon as I finish this one, its review will also be uploaded on here. :D

I would be very glad if you would join me with reading this series. Having other people to exchange with about books, films, series, … always is a nice thing. ^^
If you don’t want to read it, you can just keep reading my reviews which of course I am incredibly thankful for! :D

Hugs,
leonie
=^.^=

↘ OHHHHHHH, I nearly forgot something very important  ↙

Bildergebnis für happy halloween nightmare before christmas

👻❤ Happy Halloween to all you lovely people! ❤👻

No comments: