Wednesday 6 December 2017

- 43 - Girl Online



Author:
Zoe Sugg aka ‘Zoella’

Published:
November 2014

Genre:
Romance, Novel, Young Adult

352 pages [English Edition]
499 pages [German Edition]




I know that 'St Nicolas' Day' isn't celebrated in every country or region... buuuut nontheless... Happy Nicholas to all of you! 🎅🤶🎄
Eat tons of mandarins and nuts and have a very good day, I will do the same! <3

Content

Penny Porter runs a secret Blog on the internet. 

‘Girl Online’ is a place for her to share all her feelings, fears and awkward things that happen to her with her followers that she is too afraid to talk about in real-life. The only one to know about her blog is her best friend Elliot.

When being in New York with her parents and Elliot for Christmas, Penny meets the mysterious, dark-haired, guitar-playing and extremely attractive Noah. Soon, the two teenagers fall in love with each other.

All Penny can think about is if and how they are going to keep up their relationship when she has to return home to far-far-away Great-Britain.

But then, a shocking secret about Noah is revealed.
Will the love of the two teens be strong enough to overcome these rough times, or will it break before it even really started?!

My Review

Because this is going to be a post that is a bit shorter, I am directly going to come to the thing I liked best about this book and that made it very special to me: The main character Penny suffers from anxiety and panic attacks.

The episodes she is having are described in a very good way that makes you as the reader understand how it really feels like having a panic attack. This was especially interesting and helpful to me, because for the last one and a half months my sister is suffering from similar attacks and I don’t really know how to deal with that… :o

Mental health is a topic that definitely needs to be talked about more openly in public. People need to be sensitized for mental health! Starting with slowly showing this to teens in the context of such a lovely romance-story is a very good way to start with I think.


The next thing I want to write about is the general atmosphere that is being created in ‘Girl Online’.

It is a very sweet, fluffy, pink and happy novel. –It all was a bit ‘too perfect’ to me!
It is not like nothing bad happened at all, but the whole plot still is very smooth and positive. The ‘bad guys’ are 100% evil and disgusting persons and the ‘good guys’ are too good to be alive, honestly! In real live, no one can be sorted in the ‘good’ or the ‘bad’ drawer that easily because everyone unites a bit of both in himself…

… BUT! I probably am not the reader this book has been targeted to! 

For teenagers this book might be perfect and exactly what they need to understand the world and themselves a bit better, but for ‘adults’ [like me *cough*] maybe not.


Despite the fact that ‘Girl Online’ addresses some serious topics like anxiety, panic attack, bullying and safety on the internet, it still manages to keep a very warming and positive atmosphere.

Recommendation and Stuff

All in all I can say that ‘Girl Online’ is a very cute book that I enjoyed reading a lot! 
I definitely am going to read and review the second book as well, so strap yourself in for that exciting sequel to this amazing post. xDD

I would still only recommend you to read this book if you are a teenager, or an adult on the hunt for a really cute book to heal your soul. Maybe you could give this book to your little brother or sister and then read it yourself later [I kind of did the same thing with my sister xDDD].

The very last thing I want to write about here is a thing that I found online while trying to find out, whether this book was autobiographical or not [because Zoe also has to deal with panic attacks]. What I found instead were an awful high amount of websites that claimed that ‘Girl Online’ was ghost-written and that Zoe only put her name on it in order to make money.

I don’t want to make any suggestions or start drama here. I just wanted to let you know in case this would be a reason for you not to buy this book. 
I personally don’t think that she did it, but as always, feel free to have your own opinion and maybe even share it down in the comments. :D

Thanks for reading this review,
Hopefully see you soon.

leonie
=^-^=
G E R M A N   C O V E R

No comments: