Friday 16 September 2016

- 3 - Game of Thrones


Written by George R.R. Martin
Fantasy-Story
Published in 1996
First part of 'A Song of Ice and Fire'
________________________________________
'When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.'  -Cersei Lannister

I have watched the series on TV. *As you might know xD* This is one of my favourites so I finally decided to read the books too. I need to admit that this one took me a while, but this could also be because of me reading it in English…

Content

 ‘A Game of Thrones’ mainly revolves around the Stark family. This is an old house which has ruled over the north of the seven kingdoms for decades. Now as winter is coming and the Starks are needed most, the head of the family Ned Stark is forced to go south to serve the king. In Kings Landing Ned is confronted with intrigues, betrayal and deceitfulness. On top of it there is a lavish, brothel visiting king who ignores the problems of the realm and prefers giving feasts and going on hunts. Meanwhile dead men are coming to live again at the protecting wall in the north and ‘the others’ are approaching. The whole Stark family is confronted with lies, secrets, plots and counterplots, treason and fairy tails coming true. Will the Stark family be able to survive these conflicts or will the Lannister family gain the iron throne at the end?

My Review

‘A Game of Thrones’ is a very thrilling and captivating novel.
The language is a bit vulgar but it hasn’t really disturbed me. Besides, it is easy to understand although not unpretentious.
I need to remark that there are many characters and if you haven’t watched the series it might be a bit complicated and puzzling. *But it needs to be said that I am very bad with names. I have watched one hundred twenty episodes of a certain series and still only know three names. Now back to what I actually talked about…* The book is written from the point of view of different characters, primarily the Starks. I adore this style of writing because I like the change in perspective and story line. The reader is never stuck too long with one character so it doesn’t get boring. The reader needs to link information from the different plots on their own so you are kind of included into what’s going on. *That sounds more complicated than it actually is… xD*
As you might already have heard, a bulk of the characters dies within ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’. In this first book this is still kept within a limit, so ‘A Game of Thrones’ can be read *almost* without fear. ^^

Recommendation

This book can be recommended to everyone who likes Fantasy novels with a certain amount of romance, intrigues, violence and mystery.
To everyone who adores dragons like me, I warmly need to recommend it, especially because in the later books they are a significant part of the series. *-*

Love,
Ⓛⓔⓞⓝⓘⓔ



No comments: