Sunday 25 September 2016

- 4 - Cursed Child

Written by Joanne K. Rowling
Fantasy-Story
Published in 2016
________________________________________

‘The eighth story – nineteen years later.’

Content

This book deals with Albus Severus Potter, son of Harry Potter. This boy is completely different from his father. First he is sorted into Slytherin and then his best and only friend gets to be Scorpius Malfoy, son of Draco Malfoy, Harry’s arch-enemy. The two boys want to save Cedrick Diggory’s live who died during the ‘Triwizard Tournament’ 1994. Therefore they steal the last time turner. Their honest intention causes some serious trouble, including the danger of Voldemort returning.

My Review

I don’t really know what to think of this book…
I am absolutely in love with Harry Potter so I was very excited and happy when hearing that there will be an eighth part. When I realized it was going to be written like a play I was a bit disappointed but I looked forward to it anyway. *I need to admit that it felt like reading a book for school from time to time because I have never read a play in my free time before. xD*
First I will tell you the things I liked about this book:
I really loved to find out more about Hermoine, Ron, Harry and all the other lovely characters. I really missed reading about them and I was thrilled to see my ideas of what they are doing after Voldemort’s death partly confirmed.
Furthermore *it might be a bit superficial but I need to mention it though xD* I adore the cover, the design and the layout of this book. I have a soft spot for pretty-looking books and this is definitely one of them. :D
I confess, I am in love… with Scorpius Malfoy. He is such a funny, cute, understandable, easily frightened but brave boy. He is such a nice guy and I really want him to be together with the girl he fancies. *If you have read the book, you will know who I mean. ^^* Albus Potter, in contrary, annoyed me most of the time, which really upsets me because I actually like the Potter Family.
This is a very concrete thing I liked about ‘Harry Potter and the Cursed Child’, but I HAVE to mention it! Joanne K. Rowling creates an ‘always’ moment in this book again. Yes, it is not with Snape, but it is incredibly lovely and beautiful anyway. I nearly cried while reading it. *Don’t expect something sad now, I am on difficult terms with this word since Alan Rickman died, so it is a personal problem, I don’t think you run the risk of crying, I only am way too sensitive… xD*

Now the things I didn’t like that much:
It is very difficult to put in words… I will try to describe it… the story didn’t seem ‘real’ to me. It felt like reading a fanfiction because the plot is strange and too unrealistic.

In my point of view the writing style is not the ‘real’ Harry Potter writing style. I know it has to be different, because it is a play, it still didn’t fit though.

In addition to that, the plot and the characters are way too serious. There were rarely any funny Harry Potter moments and I hardly recognized some characters because their personalities changed very much. The only person who hasn’t changed at all is Ron. Love him. Still the funny, simple and silly person he is in the books. He and Hermoine feel like home among the other people with the same old names but completely different behaviours.

To sum it up, I like the book but it’s not as good as I expected it to be.
It doesn’t seem like a book only written for the money to me, but it doesn’t seem like a book written with the same passion and love as the others.

Recommendation

I only recommend this book to you if you have read the other books. You probably wouldn’t understand it completely and the other books are better than this one.
I honestly can’t tell you whether you should read it or not. I think I need to read the book some more times to be able to answer that question satisfactorily, and maybe not even then.
I will try to give you some help and advise, but I don’t take any responsibility for wrong decisions. xD
If you want to get additional information to Harry, Hermoine and Ron and you don’t mind a not so catching plot, you should read it. But I think not reading it and being happy with the end of ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows’ is okay too.
So many words and I still don’t know what I should think about it exactly…
Maybe I will update this with an explicit opinion when I have read it twice… :D

Love,
Ⓛⓔⓞⓝⓘⓔ

No comments: