Sunday 11 December 2016

- 6 - Fantastic Beasts


Based on ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ by J.K. Rowling
Genre:
Fantasy
Published:
2016
Actors you might know:
Eddie Redmayne *Stephen Hawking in ‘The Theory of everything’*
Johnny Depp *Jack Sparrow in 'Pirates of the Caribbean'*
[Depp only plays a very, very, very little role, but in the second part he will appear more often. :D]
________________________________________

I went watching this film the day it came out because *as you might know* I am a really big Harry Potter Fan. But I will try to evaluate the movie for not-Harry-Potter-liking people too. ^^
________________________________________

'I don't think I'm dreaming.'
-'What gave it away?'
'I ain't got the brain to make this up.'
-Jacob Kowalsky to Newt Scamander

Content

This movie takes place before the Harry Potter books.

It tells the story of Newt Scamander the author of the book ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ that Harry, Ron and Hermione from ‘Harry Potter’ use in School.

Newt arrives in New York 1926. He has his magically expanded suitcase which houses many magical creatures with him. Because of him being distracted due to a woman’s speech on magicians being real and dangerous, a Niffler escapes from his valise. While searching for it, the muggle Jacob accidentally mistakes Newt’s bag for his own. As Newt realizes this mistake many of his creatures have already escaped.

Together with Jacob, the magician Tina Goldstein and her sister Queenie he goes to get them all back. The four of them need to hurry because the ministry of magic is breathing down their backs because of Newt’s creatures being illegal. Furthermore, an Obscurus, a very dangerous creature which emerges from a wizard who denies their magic, is making trouble in New York. Newt has already helped a child which was diseased by this problem once, so maybe he can save whole New York now too?

My Review

Magic is depicted as such an incredibly beautiful and pure thing in this movie, I couldn’t hold myself. I sat in the cinema hating my life the whole time because of me not being a wizard. xD

Another thing, I loved about the film were the magical creatures of course. I couldn’t help myself, I had to think of Hagrid *he loves every kind of magical animals* the whole time. Those creatures were depicted as nice and cute, but were very badly misunderstood by the wizarding world that thinks that they were dangerous and stupid.

I liked the characters very much as well. I tried to think of my favourite person for writing about them here… but I couldn’t decide for one because in my eyes they all are lovely. <3

The character that touched my heart the most can be named very easily… Credence Barbone. *I mentioned him indirectly in my summary… he is the wizard who is turned into the Obscurus*

His story is so incredibly sad. He has been used, mistreated and misunderstood his whole fucking live and he doesn’t even get a worthy end. *I won’t tell you more because this would be a very fatal spoiler xD*

All in all I can say that I am positively surprised by ‘Fantastic Beasts and where to find them’.

In my eyes ‘Harry Potter and the Cursed Child’ isn’t a very good book *I have written a review about it too, so if you are interested in hearin’ my opinion, you can read it :D*, so I was prepared for this movie not being very good as well.

Recommendation

This movie can be recommended to everyone who likes Fantasy stories. You don’t have to be a Harry Potter Fan for enjoying it.

There only are small hints which connect this film to Harry Potter. You will understand them if you have read / watched HP, but you won’t feel stupid if you haven’t. xD
In my eyes it is the perfect connection between ‘old and new’.

There only is one thing left I need to complain about… :o
Why the hack did they call the Muggles ‘no-maj’ in this film?! Please write me whether you like it or not, but I think that ‘muggle’ sounds a hundred times better than
this new word! xD

Love,

Ⓛⓔⓞⓝⓘⓔ


No comments: